Lahr, Rathaus 1, Rosen, Detailaufnahme

New City Hall

The New City Hall was built in 1807 for the chicory producer Jacob Ferdinand Lenz. After a fire, it was acquired in 1809/10 by the snuff producer Carl Ludwig Lotzbeck, who had it rebuilt by Hans Voss, a student of the architect Friedrich Weinbrenner, according to Weinbrenner's designs.

The building is well worth seeing both as an art monument thanks to its classical façade, as well as a socio-historical memorial. The two original wings were once factory buildings, although today only a part of the south wing remains. The building as a whole was an early industrial example of a combined residential and factory complex.

After the snuff factory was closed in 1926, the building became Lahr's City Hall.